It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 pm

2012 222 SF Leaking Livewell

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

BayouLou

• nospam: no

2012 222 SF Leaking Livewell

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 pm

I took delivery of my 2012 222 Sport Fish in October of 2013 with about 60 hours on the 250FS Yamaha and the boat is in outstanding condition with only a few minor problems. The main problem is that when the live well pump is running, there is a small trickle of water in the bilge and there is a leak somewhere around the exterior of the live well because water runs out onto the floor around the rear base of the leaning post/live well unit. To be clear, water is not overflowing out of the top hatch, in fact the water level only reaches about 3 or 4 inches from the top, but is somehow spilling out onto the floor while the boat is sitting still with only the live well motor running. Has anyone had a similar issue to solve? Secondly, the bilge pump won't cut off as the small amount of water in the bilge is enough to kick on the pump but it just runs dry due to a lack of water to discharge. If I manually push down the float it will stop the pump, but only briefly before it kicks on again. Any suggestions?

saltydog235

Intermediate member

Re: 2012 222 SF Leaking Livewell

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 am

Check your hoses in and out. Double clamp all fittings on livewell and washdown pumps.

BayouLou

PostSun Jun 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I managed to teach down the issue this past weekend. Although the raw water wash down system and livewell operate with two different pumps, when the livewell pump is running, there is water pressure on the wash down hose and it has a leak at the nozzle connection. Because the wash down hose is stowed in a compartment adjacent to the livewell, it appeared as though the livewell had the leak. It seems very odd to me that the two systems would be plumbed together; I'll have to troubleshoot that another day.

time2go

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 am

I'm not sure I follow. After reading your post, I've noticed the same thing on my livewell. My raw water washdown connection is in the spalshwell, but my freshwater nozzle stows away in a compartment on the livewell. I shut that off and bled the line off, but am still seeing water dripping off the lower portion of the livewell. Not sure how to access the area in question...

JRG

PostSun Aug 10, 2014 10:11 am

I have a 2013 222SF and have found this to be the same on mine. I have found two possibilities. If I look under the top of the livewell, in both front corners, there is a small hole in the foam where the top meets the sides. The foam is solid all the way around until these corners. I believe that water sloshes into these two holes and then leaks down until it runs out the bottom of the fiberglass wall. I have found a small place where water leaks out between the gelcoat and laminate on the rear wall of the livewell and out onto the deck. I'm going to fill the holes in the foam with silicon unless someone knows of a reason not to and see if that stops it. The other possibility is it is leaking from the overflow and I'll have to pull out the tackle center to check that. My freshwater tank is also under there and I know that if it overflows, the water runs out from under the livewell onto the deck.

Jamiebagwell

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 5:30 pm

I am also having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix for this that works?
Thanks

JRG

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am

I am going to silicon those holes in the foam next week and am going fishing the week after. I'll let you know if that works. If it doesn't, I'm going to pull out the tackle box and see what's there. I'll post when I'm finished. Right now I'm betting it's the foam.

JRG

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 9:46 am

I'm now guessing that I have the same issue as bayouLou. I filled the holes in the foam, but still have the leak. I guess the next step is to pull the tackle center out and check all the connections under there.

JRG

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 10:10 pm

I have finally found the leak. The pipe that brings the water into the livewell had sealant under the plastic retaining nut and around the pipe. The sealant was not all the way around the pipe and that let water into the gap between the walls of the livewell. This ended up dripping onto the deck. Hopefully this will help the others that had the same problem.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements