It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 pm

First Handgun

Whatever you want to talk about. Cars, politics, dogs, etc.
I'm sure we have an expert here!
  • Author

bymorris

Superstar member

First Handgun

PostTue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm looking to buy my first handgun soon. I'm going to use it for home protection but mostly for shooting at the range with my buddies.

I'm looking at (3) different guns right now.

Glock 19 (9mm)
Smith & Wesson M&P (9mm)
Sringfield XDm (9mm)

Does anybody have any experience with any of these guns and recommends any other the other?
-Brent
Pioneer 197 SportFish
Yamaha F150

knotcocky

• nospam: no

Re: First Handgun

PostWed Jan 18, 2012 5:17 pm

I have owned my XD-9 for three years now. I had a set of trijicon night sights installed for use in the dark of night in the house. These sights are amazing, you can take the gun out of the safe in the dark of night and they are glowing like little light bulbs. I have probably shot several thousand rounds through mine and it may have had a chamber jam once. The key is keep the gun clean. I also have my CWP. The full size barrel with tactical rail of my Springfield XD-9 is a little to large to carry on my person so I carry a small Taurus Pro Millenium 45. This is a sweet little gun as well. I have a friend that has the SW MP-9 and it is a very reliable gun as well. I do not have any experience with the Glock family of guns but I am sure they are fine. There are plenty of police departments that utilize them.
As with anything you should have a good service department (Gunsmith) to fall back on if any problems pop up.
Hope this helps.
"Knotcocky"
2012 Steel Blue 197SF / E-Tec 175

scmedic84

Advanced member

PostWed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I've got the XD40 subcompact.... LOVE IT!
"The Wet Dream"
197 SF Suzuki 150 4-Stroke
Ladson, SC

bymorris

Superstar member

PostThu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Here is a picture of the Springfield XDm I looked at this weekend at the gun show.

XDM = Image

Glock 19 (9mm) = Image
-Brent
Pioneer 197 SportFish
Yamaha F150

Knee Deep

Intermediate member

PostThu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Did you pick one up yet? I have heard nothing but great things about the XD line. I too am looking to get one (Bi Tone XD40SC).
"Knee Deep" SOLD
2006 Seafoam 197SF
2014 DF175 Limited Edition (White Motor)
Ron Smith

bymorris

Superstar member

PostThu Feb 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Knee Deep wrote:Did you pick one up yet? I have heard nothing but great things about the XD line. I too am looking to get one (Bi Tone XD40SC).

I haven't picked one up yet. I'm doing my concealed weapons class next Saturday. Then I have to wait about 30 days to get my permit. So I have a good month or two to keep looking. Although I think I have decided on the Glock 17 (Full Size 9mm)
-Brent
Pioneer 197 SportFish
Yamaha F150

bradsure

Advanced member

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 pm

I have a XD9 sc w/micro Lasermax and a Glock 27 in 40. The XD9 SC comes with a grip extension full mag(16rds). Good for home and carry.
I put a +2 Pearce grip extension on the Glock 27 giving it an 11rd capacity for home and use the small 9 rd. mags for carry. If the small Glocks would come with an accessory rail, they would win hands down.
I just think that if I ever was in a situation where I needed to shoot, it would be easier to look for the dot on the target than looking down the barrel and try to aim.
If I had it to do over again, I would get the XD40sc and install a micro Lasermax. Power and accuracy.
Time to drop anchor and have another beer!

pioneero

Site Admin

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Goin shooting tomorrow

Knee Deep

Intermediate member

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 am

Went to the Gun shop/Range Friday to try out the Glocks and XD's. But After handling the Glock I marked it off the list for me. I know they have a great reputation but I just dont like the sound of the springs when you rack the slide.To me the sound of the spring reminds me of a pogo stick. The Slide lock required me to use both hands to release. So moved to the XD 40 Subcompact, Slide racked solid and can release with just my thumb with either strong hand or off hand . Went to the 15yd range and shot a box 180gr range load and was very impressed with all aspects of the gun. So now I just find the best price and pick one up Hopefully next week.
"Knee Deep" SOLD
2006 Seafoam 197SF
2014 DF175 Limited Edition (White Motor)
Ron Smith

pioneero

Site Admin

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Shot a Taurus 9 today, like it.
Put 100 rounds through my 357, I do alright with 38s in it but with 357s I'm not consistent.
I want a nice 380 I think.

BlueSkyGuy

Superstar member

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 am

pioneero wrote:Shot a Taurus 9 today, like it.
Put 100 rounds through my 357, I do alright with 38s in it but with 357s I'm not consistent.
I want a nice 380 I think.

380 is OK for everyday "in the pants pocket carry", for other stuff suggest something with more stopping power

try the Ruger LCP

Big Bend BaySport

PostSun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

bymorris, I'll go +1 for the Glock 17. You'll not find a more reliable pistol. 9mm is a great caliber to start off with - ammo is reasonable, and can be found most anywhere. No matter which way you decide, practice, practice, practice.

Trouble with these toys, is they are like rods & reels...soon you'll need another, maybe a little bigger or a little smaller, or a different caliber... :D

Keep us posted - boating & shooting are two of my favorite subjects.

Return to Off topic