4/22 Bottom Bumping 222 Sportfish

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

Long Enuff

Intermediate member

• nospam: no

4/22 Bottom Bumping 222 Sportfish

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Captain Lynn and myself left Remley's at 11:30 Pm Tuesday night for a little extended bottom fishing excursion. We knew the weather had it a little breezy going and coming.

Clearing the jetties, it was better than expected, and ran Northeast to about 100 ft and dropped the hook. The wind had picked up now and had the boat rocking pretty good, but we picked at the B-liners to get our limit. I settled down on the bean bags for nap while Lynn played around with whatever else would bite in the dark.

Daylight brought on the trigger bite and we were happy to oblige. We also wanted to do a little high speed trolling for a wahoo or two. We decided to make a move to Southwest Banks around mid morning dragging a couple of 6 ounce Billy Baits. No luck with the Hoo's and fish were not co-operating out deeper, so we headed back in shallow and finished up with our triggers.

Tally was not bad; 36 triggers, 2 man limit of B-liners, and few sea bass. Ride back in was the worst that I have yet to experience, but the little boat that could did very well. I tried to post pics, but a red message the board attachment quota has been reached? What's up with that? Until next time.

JRG

Re: 4/22 Bottom Bumping 222 Sportfish

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am

I'm not familiar with where you are. How far out are you when trolling for wahoo? I've been wanting to try for them, but the run out from Little River is pretty far.

Long Enuff

Intermediate member

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 9:20 am

Charleston, SC. We started trolling in 180 ft. That would be about 50 plus miles out.

JRG

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 pm

That's probably about the same distance for me. I've been out 35 to 40, but not quite as far as what you are doing. I would have to pick a day when I thought there would be some other boats out there. Thanks.

Return to Fishing