It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:40 am

Morehead City 11.9.13

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Morehead City 11.9.13

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 8:48 am

went back to Morehead to hopefully knock off another species from my bucket list, but Albies are still on the list.

while in Morehead last June for MAD, (see old post) i met a young man that helped me learn the water. He made the mistake of inviting me back up to fish with him... well i took him up on that offer.

Got to Morehead Friday afternoon, got my fishing license, and a good forcast from the tackle shop guys. Saturday morning, winds were from the north, which is good. We found lots of bait & birds, but only saw a handfull of fish. Shrimp trawlers were also working the area,, and i think the hindered the albies from coming in close to Shackleford. we worked our way down to the hook, only to see a ton of boats anchored up on the jetties. we saw some guys blind casting, only saw one boat hooked up with an ablie, and a bunch of guide boats desperately looking for fish. we worked back up the beach towards Morehead without seeing one albie. so we went inside to some trout fishing, which didn't produce much either. Sunday morning, we woke up to a 10-15 kt west wind (side shore there), which made chasing albies impossible......so more trout fishing with everyone else... along with the gill-netters. yes, gill-netting.....for trout, reds, spot....

i guess i've got to go back and try again...
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

Scenic Surfer

• nospam: no

Re: Morehead City 11.9.13

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes gillnetters I am from Wilmington North Carolina and this time of year can break your heart watching them pull in nets full of reds. Sometimes you might find an awesome trout bite only to go back and see gillnetters sitting there taking the whole school. Marshwabbit I read What you had posted about Taking troops fishing and how the next event will be held at Southport. That is my back yard If you plan to participate in Southport we will half to get together I can show you around. It sounds like a great event I might even do it myself if I'm not out of town working. I'm still in Charleston but I get to finish up and head back tomorrow after I pick my boat up. I decided to get the polling platform installed at barrier island marine. They had one off a maverick That was too short for the jack plate being installed it fits my CI Perfectly And the price was right I could not pass up the deal.

Landlocked

Superstar member

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

I was in Beaufort last week Thursday and Friday,....perfect conditions, fished pretty far out, past the Knuckle Buoy, had busting pods all day.
I know what you mean about the gill netters,....plainly put it's F-ing disgusting. My 2 favorite and almost guaranteed trout creeks were empty.
That area can be magic when conditions are right though.

brickphil

• nospam: no

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 2:35 pm

I took my pioneer 197 out of morehead 12-1-13 18 miles out on 10-15 (more like 20kt) luckily it was NW. Anyway mopped up on a few small grouper and at least 100 sea bass and a few triggers. Wind laid down as forecasted for a smooth ride in. Love my boat. I fish every week at least once. Got my boat in may of 2012 and have put 439hrs to date on her. Next time you are down, I can put you on some fish. Will be happy to. AND YES I HEAR YOU ON THE NETTERS! Pisses me off!! This year they were/are bad and in every creek that I fish for trout in.

Landlocked

Superstar member

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Brickphil, I'll track you down next time I'm headed your way. I live in Hickory, NC,....about 6 hours away so I need to time the weather and winds pretty well.

Return to Fishing