It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 am

Morehead City June 1 & 2

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Morehead City June 1 & 2

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Friday, I towed my Cape Island up to Morehead City to participate in Military Appreciation Day #8. I was one of over a 100 boats that took Military Troops fishing on Saturday. I was assigned two Marines, but one canceled late Friday, and I did not get a replacement. At Friday night captain's meeting, they fed us ribs and wings. Must have been a 130 people for that.

First thing Saturday morning, we went out to the reefs for the bsb that are so abundant, except, like turkey, they know when to hide. Only caught a couple of grunts....

Next, Spanish Macks. It was weird seeing all the boats trolling for Spanish with medium heavy rods, because they pull planers to get the little Clark spoon down about 10'. We caught two of them.

In the afternnon, tide was coming in, so we decided to run inside and find some flats to search for some reds. I thought I found a decent area, but it was strangely absent of fish. I thought I could at least spook something, but we saw nothing.

Although our fish count was low, my Marine enjoyed his day. I was lucky I got someone who had fished before. He had never fished in the grass before, and seemed to enjoy that the most.

At dinner Saturday night, the MAD group fed somewhere between 600 - 800 (troops and their families, and the captains). They had professional BBQ chefs that cooked some porkchops that were 1" thick you could cut with a plastic fork....

Sunday, I had a local dude fish with me that I met on Saturday. We went out and searched for cobia off the beach, but they weren't cooperating either. The pods of menhaden that they were supposed to be working underneath were holding 10' below the surface and went all the way to the bottom (35' of water a quarter mile off the beach), so no cobia there. Due to the wind and fairly rough water, we were only able to spot four fish, but they were just cruising the surface, and I could only get one to follow the gulp eel I was tossing at them.

Monday was a wet 6 hour tow home, but I made it safely, and I can call my trip a success.

Next years' event is in Southport, NC., and God willing, I do this event again. But it seems such a small "Thank you for serving our country" compared to what our military men & women do to protect us, and allow me the freedom to fish where and when ever I want to. Check their web site, http://www.militaryappreciationday.org, and maybe you feel the tug in your heart too.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

RonC

Superstar member

• nospam: no

Re: Morehead City June 1 & 2

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Thank you for doing your part to help our serviceman. I have participated also in the Keys with a smaller project but the rewards are relevant. Very well done sir.
Ron Conner: Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Return to Fishing