It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Carolina Beach, NC Report 5/14

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

tango2echo

Advanced member

Carolina Beach, NC Report 5/14

PostSat May 15, 2010 11:14 pm

One of the strangest days I have ever seen fishing.

Left CBI at 6:30AM. Had a third guy commited to going but he never showed or called. :twisted: Waited 20 minutes and headed offhore. Not too bad of a ride out in a confused 2ft sea at 6 seconds. Light SE winds. Pulled up on a small ledge about 11 miles out. Water temp was only 65-66f at first light, and never got above 69.7f after lunch. Not much bait, but oddly enough saw flyers in the 8-9 mile range coming and going today. :shock:

Nothing for the first hour, then a strong hit on the DR. Was a king in the 15lb range. Got it to the side of the boat and a 7-8ft Bull Shark came up and chased it, THEN ATE MY DOWNRIGGER BALL!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Seriously, the darn thing ate the ball right at the side of the boat. Ended up getting the king in the box anyway.

Then nothing until 10:30. From then until 11:30 it was wide open with several doubles and a triple hook-up, and then it just shut down. Kind of crazy with only two on the boat. Lost several fish to some very large dusky and bull sharks. The largest over 10ft!

Had two Cobia show up today, both were about 10lbs. The largest hit the propwash cigar, spit it out, then hit the right short, spit it, took it again, and spit it again. Never could hook him, but he was pretty small anyway. Also had two African Pompano swim right by the boat close enough to free gaff, but we didn't see them until too late. They were nice size 20-25lbs.

Ended up with 6 kings in the box from 9-16lbs out of 15 hits and 13 hook-ups. The sharks took 5 of the 13. All caught on dead cigars with pink skirts or skirts with pink and any other color. Not one hit on the Pirate Plugs in any color, nor did any other color skirt get hit. Just pink. pink/blue, pink/mylar, etc.

The guy I had with me wanted to catch a shark, so I took one of the TLD25's and tied a quick shark rig with 90lb wire and a 9/0 J hook. Took a piece of one of the bit-off kings and dropped it to the bottom behind the boat. Within 3 minutes we were hooked up. For the next two hours I let that shark pull the boat into a 10-15kt wind. :roll: He pulled us nearly a mile from our number. Finally got it to the boat. It was a 7 1/2ft Bull Shark. I had no plans of boating him and apparently the shark didn't either as he simply bit thorugh the leader right next to the boat. I swear that shark was just toying with us!

It started blowing up about 1:PM, so we headed in with our limits of kings. Good day. :D

Tim
2008 Pioneer 197SF Steel Blue hull. Saphire blue top and curtains
2008 Suzuki DF150
"Canadian Miss"
Canadian Miss SKA Fishing Team Captain and Owner

Murph10

Intermediate member

Re: Carolina Beach, NC Report 5/14

PostMon May 17, 2010 10:39 am

Congrats on the limit!!!

grouper therapy

Advanced member

PostTue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Tim,

Were you fishing the pink rigs down, before the down rigger ball disappeared or were they on top? If down, @ how far?

Thanks!
John
2007 White 197
140 Suzuki

tango2echo

Advanced member

PostTue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm

GT, I lost the DR ball after the first fish, which hit pink. The DR was set at 35ft. I used some pinned egg sinkers to get some baits down later on, but by then it didn't matter much. Once the bite turned on it didn't matter if it was up or down, as long as it was a pink skirt. I usually fish one DR at half the depth of the water, and if I bring both DR's I fish one at 1/3 depth and the second at 2/3's depth.

If it lays down I will go Thursday or Friday this week.

Tim
2008 Pioneer 197SF Steel Blue hull. Saphire blue top and curtains
2008 Suzuki DF150
"Canadian Miss"
Canadian Miss SKA Fishing Team Captain and Owner

grouper therapy

Advanced member

PostTue May 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Tim,

Thanks so much from this amateur angler, it's supposed to be @ 2 footers through Thursday, here. I'm going to try the pinks out. Green has been working for me so far (sea strikers with the neon orange head and green skirt, live bait and dead cigars).

John
John
2007 White 197
140 Suzuki

Landlocked

Superstar member

PostWed May 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Sounds like a good day to me. A buddy and I tried our hand out of Charleston harbor Monday looking for AJ's and cobes on the fly. Found some nearly willing participants but none committed. The 4-6 footers made the day interesting but at least they weren't coming fast.

Return to Fishing