It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 pm

Boca Grande Tarpon Fishing

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

oneal

Superstar member

Boca Grande Tarpon Fishing

PostWed Apr 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Taking the 197 down to Bocca Grande to try Tarpon for the first time May 12-16. Been studing up on the right rigs, rods, jigs, bait, location, etc. Am still thirsting for info to be as prepared as possible when I get there to improve my odds. Anyone have any experience with the area. Other methods or locations to fish other than the holes in the pass. Prefered rig's, line size, tackle, bait, etc.

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Re: Boca Grande Tarpon Fishing

PostThu Apr 08, 2010 9:57 am

i fished down there a couple of years ago (see my old report for photos). i stayed in punta gorda, but rode down to boca to see the zoo. after i saw a couple of 180 lb tarpon roll, i put my rods away. if you don't have rod/reel combo that will pull your anchor up from 50', don't bother or you'll get spooled real quick. i enjoyed snook fishing more.
this is during the week. weekends are insane.

fishing the beach is more solitary, and the tarpon jump more. catch some pass crabs, rig them on a big circle hook, and either anchor or cruise the surf zone.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

oneal

Superstar member

Re: Boca Grande Tarpon Fishing

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Hope the crabs are running when we are there. Will probably take a small crab pot with me to let soak over night for some, Sibiki, and off course the cast net. Maybe even some chicken necks and some string for nightime crabbing. May get into the middle of the Zoo a little but it would be nice to find some fish working the beaches that may be catchable. Rigging with 6/0 and 8/0 gamakatsu octupus circles with 60 and 80 lb floro. Snelling the hooks on to 8 foot floro leader, then a UNI to UNI to a doubled main line using a surgeon's knot to make the doubled line. The doubled line is about 10 feet long. I have left the loop of the doubled line in place to hang a weight on some and have cut it off on my spinners for free linning and tossing livies. Will get some jigs to try as well. Taking two Penn spinners, an 850 and an 8500 spooled with 30lb test, a Senator on a roller rod with 50lb and three TLD 15's spooled with 30lb on Ugly Stik custom rods. The TLD's can make about 25lbs of drag. Dont know about the spinners but I think the Senetor should be able to push 40-50 lb's of drag. All reels have 250-300yards of line roughly. Maybe if we are fortunate enough to get hooked up I can stay close with the boat and get some in. Thinkin about setting the strike drag to 12-15 pounds on all. Maybe 20lbs on the senator. Will take some lighter stuff for snook and red fish. Might try and hit some of the offshore reefs. Maybe put out the spread for kings, possibly cobia, or some bottom dwellers. Would like to try and hang a goliath grouper around the broken down pier at the tip of gasparrilla island. Any suggestions?

Return to Fishing