It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm

tournament interest?

Reports, tips, questions.
  • Author

marshwabbit

Superstar member

tournament interest?

PostSun Mar 28, 2010 5:19 pm

i started working on some tournament rules after speaking with roy last month. he's said he'd help sponsor some awards if i could organize a tournament.

so instead of trying to have a weekend tournament, i've tried to write some rules that would allow for multiple fish days (2 per month) over a nine month period.
(modeled after the Trident tournament sponsored by Chas. County Parks & Recreation)

if there is sufficient interest, i'll vollunteer to be tournament director (i've been one before), and will need at least 5 owners in the tournament committee. here is a link the proposed tournament:

http://www.mediafire.com/?auy4nofdlwj
(i've never tryied to attach a link from this site before, hope it works)

if you'd like to contact me directly, please call.
gene morrison
843.762.6993 home 846.442.4184
Last edited by marshwabbit on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

yellow186

Superstar member

Re: tournament interest?

PostMon Mar 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Hey Gene,

I wanted to see what type of tournament this was and what species were eligible but the page you linked us to says "invalid or deleted file". Check your link. You can always just paste the URL directly into the post without any other fancy stuff.

Thanks,
Pete
SeaVee 29
Past owner of a Cape Island 186

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Re: tournament interest? rules posted here now

PostTue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 am

Pioneer Owners Fishing Tournament

All Pioneer Owners are invited to participate. Please download the Entry Form [1], fill it out and mail in to ____________.

Tournament Date
Start Date: April 3, 2010 (year around in 2011)
End Date: Dec. 31, 2010

Rules
1 All fish entered into the tournament must be caught from a Pioneer boat (or boat made by Carolina Composites).
2 Anglers 14 and under are considered Youth Anglers.
3 All decisions made by the Tournament Committee are final.

Entry Fees
Registration Card [1] & Fee: $20.00 per Boat
Weigh Card [1] & Fee: $10.00 (limit of 2 per month) [2]
Fish entered for Ecology Release Points are exempt.

Eligible Species
Saltwater
Amberjack Lionfish Spadefish
Blackfish Mackerel, King Swordfish*
Bluefish Mackerel, Spanish Tarpon*
Bonito Marlin, blue* Toadfish
Cobia Marlin, White* Trigger
Croaker Pompano Trout
Dolphin Redfish* Tuna, Yellowfin
Flounder Sailfish* Tuna, Blackfin
Grouper Sheephead Wahoo
Jack Crevalle Snapper Whiting
Ladyfish Snook* * release only

Freshwater
Bass, Largemouth Brim Shad
Bass, Smallmouth Catfish (other)
Bass, Striped Crappie
Bass, White Salmon

States that have slot & size limits are not eligible certain tournament categories or awards.

Fish Days
Two days per month. After fishing, the captain shall post a report in the “fishing” section of POC, listing the species caught. Weights do not need to posted, photos optional. Entry forms, with the fee, must be mailed and received by the Tournament Director.

Weigh-In Locations
Fish can be weighed at any local tackle shop (with certified scales). Weigh Master must sign the entry form.
If scales are not available, calculated weights will be entered (for eligible species) by the Tournament Committee. Photos must be submitted with entry.

Awards & Payouts
Due the nature of this open tournament, no monetary prizes will be awarded. Fees received will be used at the Year End Banquet for plaques, door prizes, raffle items and other goods as needed. Each boat entered into the tournament will receive tickets for door prizes.3
First Place Awards will be given for each eligible species entered.
Outstanding Awards will be given for the following categories (inshore & offshore) and are based on decisions of the Tournament Committee: Boat, Male Angler, Female Angler, Youth Angler, & Ecology Release

Tournament Committee
A representative from each regional area or state shall serve on the Tournament Committee. The Tournament Director should be contacted by interested owners.

Ecology Release Awards will be given for eligible species and points are accumulated by adding length & girth and release points. The top ten entries, per species, are eligible with exceptions in certain categories.

Ecology Release Point System

Offshore Points

Blue Marlin 300
White Marlin 150
Sailfish 80
Tarpon 80
Wahoo 50
Dolphin 30
King 15
Spanish 10

Inshore 5 Points all species

Year End Awards Banquet

Location and date will be announced at later time.

1 to be available for download soon

2 the limit of two weigh cards per month is to limit people like me who can fish almost any time they want and posting daily and weekly entries.

3 due this being the first tournament using an open & untested format, certain rules made need modifications.

RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY THE TOUNRAMENT COMMITTEE...............................
revised 3.30.10 3:20 pm to add freshwater species and additional footnote locations

marshwabbit

Superstar member

PostWed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm

no comments or questions????? or just no interest???

maybe there is a way to take a poll??

grouper therapy

Advanced member

PostWed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 pm

interest is there, not used to this
John
2007 White 197
140 Suzuki

marshwabbit

Superstar member

PostWed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 pm

this what? the "format" of tournament?

i'll be glad to answer any questions.

jcmor23

Intermediate member

• nospam: no

PostWed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm

I have questions, but I don't know where to start. I have fished a few tournements, but never like this one.

1) Do you only get points for the species of the fish or by the weight of the fish(unless released)? Example, if I go fishing by myself and catch my limit of trout (25), will I get 125 points or the weight of those fish?
2) Will the Weigh Master verify your catch or by pictures?
3) Fish that are released, will that be on the honor system or by proof of photo?
4) Does it matter who catches the fish? As long it is on a pioneer, on one of your two days a month? Example, if I bring 4 people fishing, we catch our limit of trout, and it's on one of the two days of the month will my boat get 500 pts?

This may seem like dumb questions, but I just want to make sure I understand.

Jeff
2008 197SF 150 ETEC

wampus cat

Superstar member

PostThu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am

The tournament has a web site, very preliminary: http://www.pbofc.com

marshwabbit

Superstar member

PostThu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 am

1) Do you only get points for the species of the fish or by the weight of the fish(unless released)? Example, if I go fishing by myself and catch my limit of trout (25), will I get 125 points or the weight of those fish?
if you keep the fish, you will need to either 1) get the fished weighed and have the weigh master sign the card, or 2) measure the length & girth, provide a photo, and the Tournament Committee will calculate the weight. if fish are released, then you get points toward the ecology award.

2) Will the Weigh Master verify your catch or by pictures?
(see answer above)

3) Fish that are released, will that be on the honor system or by proof of photo?
honor system, but the limit is 10 per species. so if you catch 25 trout, you'll want to enter the 10 largest. photos welcome in your report.

4) Does it matter who catches the fish? As long it is on a pioneer, on one of your two days a month? Example, if I bring 4 people fishing, we catch our limit of trout, and it's on one of the two days of the month will my boat get 500 pts?
it does not matter who catches the fish. the anglers will accumulate points for releases, and the boat accumulates points also.

boats may enter fish ANY two days per month. since some owners must travel, and weather is a huge factor, we thought that by allowing owners to pick their 2 "fish days" it would increase participation. and since the tourny runs until december, it would allow owners that like to fish in other states (like florida) the oppertunity to catch species like snook, permit, sailfish, etc. on their vacations.
there are NO dumb questions when it's tournament time.........

wampus cat

Superstar member

PostSun Apr 04, 2010 11:12 am

As of 4/3/10 the leading sheepshead is 6lbs3oz...

Youth leader is Tradd Murray with a Sheepshead of 4lbs5oz..

What a day. At on point on the way out, I looked towad the sw and you could barely see where the water and the horizon met. It look as one. We caught 23 sheepshead and kept 8. Also, I dropped an underwater camera down and filmed what we were fishing around. By the way, there are a lot of big Sheepshead down there. We started fishing around 7:15am and then the bite stopped. Any way, it was a great day and I hope ya'll were able to get out and enjoy it. I'll have some othe video up on my facebook page, gourmetfishing, and then on my web site, http://www.gourmetfishing.com.

Return to Fishing