It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am

180 Islander change flip/flop bench to leaning post

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

SRQPioneer

• nospam: no

180 Islander change flip/flop bench to leaning post

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Has anyone changed a flip/flop bench on an Islander to a leaning post?

I had a T-top installed on my 180 Islander and was also going to change out the flip/flop bench to a leaning post. The company that did the work on the boat told me that because of the way the bench seat is installed, it is not a simple process to simply change over to a leaning post. Something about the fact that there are no access ports or way to get under the floor to secure the leaning post mounts. Maybe Pioneer mounts the bench seat and console on the liner prior to joining it to the hull?

RonC

Superstar member

Re: 180 Islander change flip/flop bench to leaning post

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 pm

My experience might help. Have a 175 Bay sport that had pedistal swivel seats (2). Never liked them & finally found a leaning post whose price didn't look like a phone # with area code. Yes it was difficult & yes, to me it was worth it. Had to cut an access hole to remove the 2 seat posts & work around a bulkhead to bolt in the aft posts for the leaning post. Took some time but again to me it was worth it. Be happy to further answer any questions.
Ron Conner: Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

GaryC

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm

I would call the factory. I had the leaning post installed on my build. Best choice I made, besides the Mercury 115 pro xs instead of the Yamaha 115.

SRQPioneer

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 3:10 pm

RonC wrote:My experience might help. Have a 175 Bay sport that had pedistal swivel seats (2). Never liked them & finally found a leaning post whose price didn't look like a phone # with area code. Yes it was difficult & yes, to me it was worth it. Had to cut an access hole to remove the 2 seat posts & work around a bulkhead to bolt in the aft posts for the leaning post. Took some time but again to me it was worth it. Be happy to further answer any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your experience with the cutting the floor to access the seat posts is what I was told would be required on my Islander for removing the bench and mounting the leaning post. I really want to make the change to the leaning post as the bench seating is really a bit too low and close to the console, and I am also getting very tired of hitting my heels on the benches lower crossbar.

RonC

Superstar member

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 am

Know of what you speak. I waited too long to do it but now it is fine. Don't want to scare you with the job but I feel without my son helping (doing) the job, I would have been in over my head. Good luck.
Ron Conner: Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements