It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:33 am

222 sport fish trailer problem, maybe......

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

whigh

• nospam: no

222 sport fish trailer problem, maybe......

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Got a wesco alum trailer under my 222.

Having to get the trailer very deep to get boat off/on. Truck is damn near in the water and still feels stuck on the trailer. Front v bunk also looking like it's taking a good hit on the edge where the boards start. Not my first boat. Unfortunately due to my parking spot a longer tongue is not a viable option right now either.

Anyone else having issues, or just my luck?

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Re: 222 sport fish trailer problem, maybe......

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 pm

sounds like the ramp isn't steep enough.....
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

whigh

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Hope so, however front of the boat is fairly "scratched up". We've only ran it once so far, so definitely will be trying another ramp for sure.

dudemanbubba

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Have to pick and know your ramps. I launch at Port Canaveral and the north causeway launch at New Smyrna 95% of the time. The Port is very steep and I have to keep the boat in gear to be able to winch it fully. Ponce Inlet is much less steep and I have to pretty much drive it on and release when I am up on the eye. Either way, I found the base trailer bow stop too narrow for the Pioneer broad nose and pretty much collapsed the wide outside flanges twice. I replaced the roller and outside flanges with something more broad on the outside to prevent metal on gelcoat. I still get significant rubber mars on the hull which rub out with some compound around the bow stop. Just part of my regimen..

marshwabbit

Superstar member

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:45 am

it could be your trailer too. i've only had Owens ans Sons trailers under my boats. i never had a issue with the boat hitting the trailer while loading.

up at Lake Marion, the ramp is so shallow that i had my exhast bubbling, but at least it was fresh water.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

whigh

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Owens and sons are nice! I got a quote on a sport trail at around $4200. Might do that at a later date once I get everything else sorted out.

Pungoknk

Advanced member

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 pm

MagicTrail trailers make custom aluminum trailers that I have had on the last two boats and they work great!

http://www.magictilt.com/trailers/alumi ... -ca-series
Have a great day!
2015 Velocity 220 Bay w/250 Mercury Verado Pro
2014 Cape Island w/150 Yamaha (Sold)

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

I have the same problem with my magic tilt. I don't think it's the trailer specifically, I think it's the V guide at the bow. when I got my boat I told them the v guides take too much weight and make too much contact to protect the boat. After my first service, the dealer offered to repair my "sandbar damage" for $350, but quickly dropped it and changed the subject when I told them it was from their trailer setup they sold me causing the chipping on the keel... still damaged and waiting to install the target bunks before I get the gel coat and glass repaired..

Also, all new 222's on this dealers lot have the bunks at the bow now instead of the guides... go figure.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements