It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am

New owner - Need advise on trailer set up.

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

MarkD

• nospam: no

New owner - Need advise on trailer set up.

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 9:33 am

Hello all! Just last Thursday I purchased a 2015 leftover Ventura 197 with a Yamaha 150. I got out in the boat with the family this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the boat/engine combination. I grew up with 2 stroke engines and thought I'd be disappointed with a 4 stroke but the Yamaha 150 gets the 197 on plane nicely even with my family and my brother's family on board.

While I am fairly experienced with boating I'm new to trailering and the dealer set me up with an aluminum beam Load Rite bunk trailer. The problem is he set it so the boat sits on top of those two inner strakes and when putting the boat on the trailer the boat will either catch the edge of one or the other so it end up tilted. On one strake and off the other. The photo I attached shows the boat barely on one and well seated on the other. Thing is this is fork lift placement from the dealer and as I wrote above there is no way to float it on in this orientation. My brother and I tried for a half hour on Saturday. The other people at the ramp were not happy.

Going back to the dealer is not an option. He's 3.5 hours away and it's a horrible drive through NY. I'm going to have to make these adjustments.

My idea is to move the bunks out so that the boat sits about a half inch on either side of the bunks. This way the strakes will automatically guide the boat into the correct orientation. I am also planning to use washers to angle the bunks so they meet the hull firmly. The bunks do reach all the way to the transom so I'm good there. Tongue weight feels just a little heavy so while I'm adjusting the bunks I'm going to move the axle forward a few inches.

Any advice would be appreciated. As it is now I dread trailering the boat. I need to get this set up correctly.

Oops! Can't upload photo. Board attachment quota reached.

Thanks,

Mark

KD1

Re: New owner - Need advise on trailer set up.

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Hey Mark, have had a similar problem to yours in the past. Of course the dealer that sold this to you should have made sure it fit correctly before you came 3.5hrs to pick it up, but this seems to be the norm once the stealer has your $.

That being said, my suggestion would be to call around to local boat trailer dealers. Probably one that deals in used trailers would be your best shot. They will have a lift to pick the boat up off the trailer in order to make adjustments as needed under it. They can lift up - put down as needed until it's perfect. They will also have a scale in order to determine proper tongue weight and be able to move the axle forward or aft as needed. It will be worth the $200-300 in labor to have this done correctly. To try and do this at home without a lift will be "frustrating" to say the least.

I hope this helps.
-K.

MarkD

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 2:55 pm

I spoke to Jack at Pioneer today. He was very helpful. As I suspected the bunks should have been placed about 1/2" outside of each strake so they guide the boat onto the trailer.

I'm going to take the boat off the trailer and make the adjustments. If I can't do it in one or two tries I'll find someone with a forklift. I have a 300lb scale and I'd like to see the tongue at about 250lb or so. Based on the info I'm pretty sure about... boat trailer weight, distance from axle to tongue, and current estimate of tongue weight summing moments I calculate I need to move the axle forward 5".

Thanks again.

sbecker3

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 3:06 pm

Before you do that, how far do you put the trailer in? Mine always went on tilted until I pulled trailer out a foot further and it never goes on crooked anymore. I just have to increase the throttle slightly powering on.

MarkD

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 pm

A couple guys at the ramp suggested that. I tried it but no go. Gotta move the bunks to make it right I'm sure of it after speaking with Jack at Pioneer.

MarkD

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 11:42 pm

Moved the bunks so they are 1/2" outside of those chines and it's perfect. Goes right up centered and is more stable trailering.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements