It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Cape Island boat auxiliary motor bracket, outriggers, poling

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

Bob Gibbins

• nospam: no

Cape Island boat auxiliary motor bracket, outriggers, poling

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi members,
I am taking possession of a 186 Cape Island (05 model) in a few weeks. Have members added an auxiliary outboard motor bracket on the transom? This one already has a SuzukiDF150 on the back. I am thinking about a Yamaha 4 stroke 15HP or a 9.9 HP which weigh 51 or 40 kgs respectively. There are already trim tabs so the motor would need to extend beyond the tabs. I would appreciate any advice please from members who may have done it.
I am also putting a custom made removable stainless steel T-Top and a fixed Poling Platform as well as outrigger brackets and a Scotty downrigger. This little boat will be used up to 40 miles off the coast in North Queensland, Australia.
Thanks for your advice. Cheers, Bob

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Re: Cape Island boat auxiliary motor bracket, outriggers, po

PostSat Aug 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Congrats mate.

Before I'd think about trying to add a kicker, I might try selling the 150, getting a bracket made (or use a couple of 10" setback jack plates), and use twin F70's. It'll sit pretty low if you add a kicker. I bet it sits low already with the four stroke 150. I have the lighter 2 stroke 150 on my cape.

You didn't say if it had a boarding ladder. I would highly recommend getting one made if not. I can send you photos of my custom ladder.

Search back in the archives, and there was a cape island with a removable T-Top, and you can see the different styles of platforms we've added. Mine is two steps up, and is above the bait well.

Good day.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

Bob Gibbins

• nospam: no

Re: Cape Island boat auxiliary motor bracket, outriggers, po

PostSun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks for your advice. I would love to see photos of your different modifications if it possible to postbsome photos. Cheers

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements