It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 am

Thru-Hull Transducer - 197 Sportfish

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

srqscott

• nospam: no

Thru-Hull Transducer - 197 Sportfish

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Has anyone installed a thru-hull transducer in a 197 Sportfish? I have a Garmin 741XS GPS unit and just got the Airmar B150M CHIRP thru hull transducer. Looking for mounting location and information on how you dealt with the cored hull.

Simmo

Re: Thru-Hull Transducer - 197 Sportfish

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 am

How did you go with this? I'm looking at a B175-H in miy 197 as well

srqscott

Re: Thru-Hull Transducer - 197 Sportfish

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:03 am

I Drilled thru the hull on port side near the water pickup grate. There was some open space between the hull and the liner that I filled with weld on. I forced it in the gap between the hull and liner all around the hole edge. This filled the gap 2 or 3 inches into the cavity and made it hard which prevents the nut on the transducer from crushing the fiberglass liner when you tighten it down. Then I used 3M 5200 to to install per the instructions that came with the transducer. This location seems to work well as the water flow is clean in this area. I have not had any issues with loosing the bottom on the display.

A side note I learned about the Garmin is that if you use the new chirp transducers you need to make sure you update the software on your Garmin unit. The software version I had on mine was released before the chirp transducers so it was giving me an "unsupported transducer error". Once I updated the software all was good.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements