It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Hairline cracks following deck ,gunwale corner on my 2015

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

dave44

• nospam: no

Hairline cracks following deck ,gunwale corner on my 2015

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Islander 197.

They run along both sides from the rod storage to the front box.

Has anyone experienced this? We have about 25 hrs on the boat and we were very surprised to see them.

Any recommendations?

Pioneer180

Superstar member

Re: Hairline cracks following deck ,gunwale corner on my 201

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Pictures? Maybe 2nd time I hear of this but never in new ones.

dave44

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Pioneer180 wrote:Pictures? Maybe 2nd time I hear of this but never in new ones.

Ok. The file size is too large, I haven't had an iPhone very long so I'll have to find how to make it smaller

dave44

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 7:46 pm

I reduced the pics, but now the board quotas been reached. If anyone has any suggestions?

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

dave44 wrote:I reduced the pics, but now the board quotas been reached. If anyone has any suggestions?

You can't use site system. Need a hosting place like Photobucket, etc.

dave44

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Ok, thanks? I'll see if I can figure that out too :wink: :drunken:

wmflyfisher

Intermediate member

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 pm

2014 Islander here and I've put it through some rough seas. Zero cracks anywhere on the deck. Curious as to what your issue may be.

wandosc

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 pm

I have a similar issue on my 2012 197 SF. Cracks above the rod storage on the gunwales, specifically around both corners of the black caulking. Also, cracks around the anchor locker 'corners'. I took the boat back to the Pioneer factory in Walterboro to correct the problem in 2015 and they drilled out the cracks and reglassed. Brought the boat home and the next time I took the cover off there were cracks in the fiberglass again. I didn't even put the boat in the water before new cracks showed up. When I was at the factory Roy said he never saw anything like this and asked if my boat was next to a fire..it was not. I love everything else about the boat but the cracks are frustrating. Jack Fulton said they are only cosmetic and not structural. To date I have roughly 20-25 'stress fracture cracks'. Can't upload pics either, 'the board quota has been reached'. To Pioneers credit I did not contact them again as of 2016. I didn't want to tow the boat to Walterboro again for the same results.

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostSat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 pm

I would like to see pictures of these. You need to load them to a hosting site like Photobucket and link it here.

wandosc

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 pm

See if this works:

Image[/URL]

Bigmatt

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 8:14 am

I have the same crack's next to my rod holder as yours... Nothing crazy that I can't live with but defiantly just like that. Also have some in the splash well near the copper drainage holes. The one that has me concerned is the one on the floor starboard side next to the console. This is looking like a spider web starting. The boat is covered every winter and I love it!!! Was out on it yesterday with my wife and was very proud anchored up in area with other boats. Will try and get some pictures on here shortly. I'm driving down to the OBX this weekend maybe I should drop it off and see if they can help?

dave44

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 11:03 am

I contacted my dealer last summer and explained to him with the pics. He got in touch with the factory who said they aren't structural but they would need the boat to effect repairs, he suggested I leave it with them over the winter and he could send it back for repairs. So I brought it to him in October or November?

When I emailed him to see when I could pick it up in February he said pioneer hasn't picked it up yet! Now I'm starting to get antsy, to say the least!

I emailed the dealer yesterday and asked the status but haven't heard from them yet.

I'm sure that many can figure out that I'm starting to begin a high simmer, verging on boil.

dave44

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 am

Well, here's a pic, or not.IMG_1324.JPG

dave44

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 am

It's too bad pioneer doesn't look at this forum, this morning I called pioneer, nobody to talk to, left a message. So I sent an email. Is there anybody in the building besides the secretary?

What an aggravating experience this is turning into.

dave44

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 am

wandosc wrote:I have a similar issue on my 2012 197 SF. Cracks above the rod storage on the gunwales, specifically around both corners of the black caulking. Also, cracks around the anchor locker 'corners'. I took the boat back to the Pioneer factory in Walterboro to correct the problem in 2015 and they drilled out the cracks and reglassed. Brought the boat home and the next time I took the cover off there were cracks in the fiberglass again. I didn't even put the boat in the water before new cracks showed up. When I was at the factory Roy said he never saw anything like this and asked if my boat was next to a fire..it was not. I love everything else about the boat but the cracks are frustrating. Jack Fulton said they are only cosmetic and not structural. To date I have roughly 20-25 'stress fracture cracks'. Can't upload pics either, 'the board quota has been reached'. To Pioneers credit I did not contact them again as of 2016. I didn't want to tow the boat to Walterboro again for the same results.

I asked the dealer if I should pick it up and take it to the factory myself, and he said that is an option, since they haven't picked it up, and he doesn't know when they might. But if it's not really fixed when they are done with it why do it at all?

Maybe I made a mistake? I thought we had done enough research before the purchase.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements