It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:43 am


Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Joeysmurf

Newbie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm
  • Location: Savannah
  • nospam: no

Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 2:40 pm

So I have finally joined here after 3 years as an owner, and of course I have a question. I have 2006 197SF and love it. I had to have the bilge pump replaced this spring, noticed a helloflot water come out when I pulled plug after a day out on water. Now however this is highlighting to me a more serious issue that I can not explain.

I was laying on the beach, looking out over all the boats anchored up, possibly enjoying an adult beverage, and noticed that my boat was the only boat spitting water out the back. A guy actually came up to me and asked if I had put the plug in. I laughed, "ha, ha ha, ha ha ha, sure man, I am a boating expert" as I casually reached under to make sure it was indeed in. So that was not it. THANK GOD.

SO I have concocted 2 possible issues. I was hoping someone with more experience than I would say yep, or no look here.

1. Bad seal on the plug, seeping water, however just to be clear, every 3-5 min the auto pump was kicking on, so that is alot of water for the plug seal.

2. Intake on the Livewell is loose, broken, not sealed. This for me makes more possible sense. I say this since it is larger, and well hidden behind a cover.

Any help, direction, prayers, warm thoughts or donations would be greatly appreciated.

joey
Offline

jcatkiwi

Newbie

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:15 pm
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 3:46 pm

I think your instincts are correct on # 2. The thru hull on the livewell pump is solid, but, the pump on top is plastic and over years will break.

Next time you have some time to kill, put her on the water and open up your hatch, you may want a hand mirror and flashlight, but you are on the right track. The O-ring on the plug by the way can easily be replaced, just take the old one to Lowes/Home Depot/Minards etc... and match it up in the plumbing department.
Offline

Pioneer180

Superstar member

  • Posts: 484
  • Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm
  • Location: Palm Beach County
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 4:08 pm

jcatkiwi wrote:I think your instincts are correct on # 2. The thru hull on the livewell pump is solid, but, the pump on top is plastic and over years will break.

Next time you have some time to kill, put her on the water and open up your hatch, you may want a hand mirror and flashlight, but you are on the right track. The O-ring on the plug by the way can easily be replaced, just take the old one to Lowes/Home Depot/Minards etc... and match it up in the plumbing department.


Agree with this. Whatever you do please do not sue boat again until you have this resolved. Water on the bilge is no good. Open all hatches and let boat dry very well. Then go to the ramp on a non-busy hour (week day?) and put boat on water and look around inside the bilge. If it is plug you will quickly see that wet area. If not then look at seacock and all hose connections from there and up. Do you have a raw water pump too? Just check.
On my boat I just found out water leaking from the raw water pump hose that goes from pump to the external hose connector fitting. Found it only because I installed a new pump (failed after 1 yr) and at ramp opened bilge to make sure all my connections were ok. I tightened the hose clamp a little more and all is good now. I like to open up the plug after taking boat out on a normal trip and see no water at all coming out of it. As far as I know the only place for water to get into the bilge on this boat are the two rear cup holder drains if all hatches are closed.
2015 197SF - Suzuki DF150
2012 180SF - Suzuki DF115 Sold
Image
Offline

Joeysmurf

Newbie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm
  • Location: Savannah
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks Guys. I will keep you updated. I was talking to manager at the marina and he was thinking same areas today. As for the raw water pump, yes I have. So we will focus on those two areas. I just dont think the plug could leak this much. When I am on the rack and sit there until water stops rolling down, I have never seen more than drips close to the plug. Also as side note, last year the boat never would drain water from the plug, it was the driest boat I had ever seen. Now something is obviously a miss.

I will not use until this is found. So expect an update once I do. Again thank you for the words.

joey
Offline

KWest47562

Newbie

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:52 pm
  • Location: Niceville, FL
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 5:34 pm

There are several possibilities, beside the ones you identified. They are:
1. Leak associated with the bait pump or raw water wash-down pump.
The 197 has two seacocks/shutoff valves located in the bilge. One controls flow to the bait pump and one controls flow to the raw water wash down pump. The first thing I would do is shut both seacocks. Note: If it has been a long time since the valves were exercised, it may be difficult to close the valves. You may need to use a “cheater bar” made from a short length of PVC pipe to get enough leverage to close the valves. Once you have closed the valves, put the boat in the water and see if the problem is eliminated. If it is eliminated, it is possible is that one or both of the stems (i.e., either the bait pump or wash-down pump) that screw into the top of the seacocks has cracked and may be on the verge of snapping off completely. Another possibility is that the input or output hoses on either the bait or wash-down pump is loose.
2. A second possibility is that the seal on one of the thru-hull intake fitting for the pumps has failed. In that case, the fittings would need to be removed, all old sealant removed from the fitting and hull and then reinstalled with new sealant.
3. A third possibility is the scupper drain hoses or fittings. You have hoses that attach to each above deck scupper drain. Those two hoses are connected to a “T” fitting located in the bilge. The 3rd leg of the “T” connects to a thru-hull fitting in the transom. The seal between the fitting and transom could be bad or one or more the hoses of fitting attachment may be loose or split.
In the worst case scenario any of the above possibilities could put more water in the boat than the bilge pump can handle.
Boggy Bob
2005 197 SF Mercury 150 Optimax
Offline

Lowcountry

Newbie

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:29 pm
  • Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue May 31, 2016 5:36 pm

KWest47562 wrote:There are several possibilities, beside the ones you identified. They are:
1. Leak associated with the bait pump or raw water wash-down pump.
The 197 has two seacocks/shutoff valves located in the bilge. One controls flow to the bait pump and one controls flow to the raw water wash down pump. The first thing I would do is shut both seacocks. Note: If it has been a long time since the valves were exercised, it may be difficult to close the valves. You may need to use a “cheater bar” made from a short length of PVC pipe to get enough leverage to close the valves. Once you have closed the valves, put the boat in the water and see if the problem is eliminated. If it is eliminated, it is possible is that one or both of the stems (i.e., either the bait pump or wash-down pump) that screw into the top of the seacocks has cracked and may be on the verge of snapping off completely. Another possibility is that the input or output hoses on either the bait or wash-down pump is loose.
2. A second possibility is that the seal on one of the thru-hull intake fitting for the pumps has failed. In that case, the fittings would need to be removed, all old sealant removed from the fitting and hull and then reinstalled with new sealant.
3. A third possibility is the scupper drain hoses or fittings. You have hoses that attach to each above deck scupper drain. Those two hoses are connected to a “T” fitting located in the bilge. The 3rd leg of the “T” connects to a thru-hull fitting in the transom. The seal between the fitting and transom could be bad or one or more the hoses of fitting attachment may be loose or split.
In the worst case scenario any of the above possibilities could put more water in the boat than the bilge pump can handle.

That's some good info. there!
2010 Venture 197
2008 Yamaha F150TX
Offline

Joeysmurf

Newbie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm
  • Location: Savannah
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 am

Fantastic info. I am very grateful for your response KWest47562.

Thanks
Offline

Joeysmurf

Newbie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm
  • Location: Savannah
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am

Ok here is the answer to the riddle...

Live Bait Well pump cracked, so where the hose going to the well, that area had cracked and was allowing 3/4" hole to bring water in. We replaced the pump, and cut the values off. So that fixed it

Thank you again for all the help

joey
Offline

Pioneer180

Superstar member

  • Posts: 484
  • Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm
  • Location: Palm Beach County
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 am

Joeysmurf wrote:Ok here is the answer to the riddle...

Live Bait Well pump cracked, so where the hose going to the well, that area had cracked and was allowing 3/4" hole to bring water in. We replaced the pump, and cut the values off. So that fixed it

Thank you again for all the help

joey


Wow! Things like that has sunk boats many times. Great that you got it in time.
Offline

Bob Gibbins

Newbie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:35 am
  • nospam: no

Re: Bilge Pump, cutting on every 3-5 min

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 7:56 am

I have recently purchased the second Cape Island ever built. I notice that the plastic housing on the Ruhle live bait pump is leaking a lot of water. Turned off the seacock and stopped the leak but having a hell of a problem removing the actual pump from the seacock. Concerned I am going to destroy the seal at the skin fitting by forcing it. Very hard to get to it. The hatch is partly blocked by the hydraulic steering. Anyone got any clues as to how to remove the pump from the sea-cock? Thanks.

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron