It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 am

222 Sportfish Electronics Install

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

dudemanbubba

• nospam: no

222 Sportfish Electronics Install

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 4:49 pm

I have a 222 Sportfish on order and hope to have it near the end of August. I am working on my electronics package and do not have any reference to start coming up with a plan for the install. There are no 222 Sportfish boats on anyone's lots near me to go and do some measuring and planning. I am hopeful that I can put all of the "brains" of the equipment completely hidden within the center console. I know there are two access panels up high on the inside of the console and the battery access is the open space at the bottom. I am verifying this but I do not believe the inner wall of the center console is structural (looking from the console toward the stern). I was planning on cutting a sizable rectangular opening above the battery opening and below the access panels that I can cover with a piece of starboard. I can then mount all of the electronics on the back of the starboard so it will be hidden when put in place and attached. There will be 3 or 4 roughly 9x8 rectangular boxes that need to be installed there and I do not want these devices just hanging in the console.

Anyone with a 222 Sportfish that can offer any guidance on what they have done or have photos would be appreciated. I would like to have a plan and hit the ground running when it gets here.

Thanks in advance!

wampus cat

Superstar member

Re: 222 Sportfish Electronics Install

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 8:40 pm

I've had my 222sf for about 18 months and have taken it to the Bahamas and back. I'm in SC and do quite a bit of offshore fishing. I have Garmin electronics and love them. I'm not saying that Raymarine or Simrad/Lorance or any others are not good, but I know garmin and all of my gps info can transfer between the units.

That being said , I have 2 chart plotters installed in the console: 5208 and 840xs. I have autopilot and radar along with the 200 vhf. The NMEA 2000 network make everything talk to each other and work together. I also have the xm-weather service, which is kind of neat when you're dodging rain. Everything is neatly installed and out of the way.

The 840xs unit has the down vu and side vu sounder and I have the transducer installed under the step of the hull at the transom. This keeps the spray or rooster tail under the boat.

dudemanbubba

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Electronics are a lot like girlfriends... I never get into the discussions about which is better! :) I am a creature of habit and my previous experience has been Raymarine and I was very happy with it, so I am just getting the newer versions of what I had. The autopilot, sirius weather and sounder unit all have control units that are roughly 9"x8"x3" that need to be installed and wired in beyond the displays you see at the helm. Do the Garmin units have similar devices? If so, where were they mounted?

Thanks again!

wampus cat

Superstar member

PostSat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 am

Everything is connected inside the console. The autopilot pump and the depth sounder cpu/black box are inside the console next to the head.the NMEA 2000 and the wiring connected in the open area where the gauges and wiring is. All out of the way.

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 5:10 pm

what did you end up doing? I have my amplifier attached to that liner wall and it's perfectly fine after 100 hours on the motor (no stress cracks or falling off). And I think the amplifier is heavier than the modules.

I may be upgrading my ray marine a78 unit to a simrad 9 or 12 inch, with the 3d sonar, but I wasn't sure where to mount the module for it.

whigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:03 pm

wampus cat wrote:I've had my 222sf for about 18 months and have taken it to the Bahamas and back. I'm in SC and do quite a bit of offshore fishing. I have Garmin electronics and love them. I'm not saying that Raymarine or Simrad/Lorance or any others are not good, but I know garmin and all of my gps info can transfer between the units.

That being said , I have 2 chart plotters installed in the console: 5208 and 840xs. I have autopilot and radar along with the 200 vhf. The NMEA 2000 network make everything talk to each other and work together. I also have the xm-weather service, which is kind of neat when you're dodging rain. Everything is neatly installed and out of the way.

The 840xs unit has the down vu and side vu sounder and I have the transducer installed under the step of the hull at the transom. This keeps the spray or rooster tail under the boat.

How is that transducer working out?

About to put a GT 51 on mine and trying to figure placement out. Does that location stop the spray or just lessen it?

wampus cat

Superstar member

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 am

I haven't had any issues with the location and it works great.

whigh

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Thank you!

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements