It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 am

Speaker Mounting - Sportfish 222

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

Soflo222

Intermediate member

• nospam: no

Speaker Mounting - Sportfish 222

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 11:48 am

I am picking up my 222 sportfish this week, and am incredibly excited. I have already ordered and gotten all of the electronics for the boat, and am planning on having them installed professionally. However, with this being a rather uncommon boat, I have some questions:
I plan on mounting the following: 1 pair JL Audio 6.5 inch speakers, 1 pair of 7.7 inch JL Audio speakers, 1 JL Audio M series 10 inch subwoofer, 1 pair of Clarion 6.5 inch speakers (only for the hardtop, because they require very little space to sound good, and they have a massive tweeter, making it a better place to put the better mids/highs since bass will be lost to wind, etc.), 1 Fusion 5 channel amp (1600 watts), Fusion IP700 head unit, Raymarine A78 multifunction display, and a Standard Horizon VHF.

Are the gunnels completely packed with foam as I have heard from some people, or only part of the way? The JL audio speakers need at least 2.2 Cubic feet of air around the back to sound good, and if foam filled, I may need to rethink placement of the 7.7 inch speakers in the gunnels near the front seats. (perhaps putting the 7.7's in the console sides, and the 6.5's in the gunnels, since lows will not sound as good)

With the freshwater system, is there space to center the subwoofer between the tackle station and the freshwater tank in the leaning post? Would mounting it in the console facing towards the leaning post (in the netted storage area) be better? Would this be too close to the electronics?

Any other suggestions for mounting locations, or installation places in the Stuart, FL area would be awesome. My dealer will install, but they want $1,500 for installation, and this just seems incredibly high to me, considering 2 speakers are in the console, and the others have wire chases going to their locations.

marshwabbit

Superstar member

Re: Speaker Mounting - Sportfish 222

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 1:39 pm

i can't help with your setup very much except keep the console speakers 3' from your compass (if you want it to work).

glad to have you aboard the owners website.
186 cape island, carolina blue hull, 150 VMax, & my golden retriever

JRG

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 pm

The dealer that installed mine said that the foam was all the way up and they had to dig out a bunch to get my speakers installed. I also don't think there is room between the fresh water tank and the tackle station to place the other speaker.

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 6:41 pm

JRG, how do your speakers sound? Do you have JL audio installed? I am concerned about the sound quality, but maybe the foam will not restrict the sound as much as improve it...

I just wish dealers knew more about these kinds of things than having owners do all the legwork... Or at the very least get the dealer to know all this stuff, most of the time it's a "not sure about that let me check" situation... As a buyer it would be a nice feeling to have definite answers before dropping 60k on a new boat.

JRG

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm

I have the JBLs and think they sound great. To be honest I had the system installed for my wife and she loves it. I just have the two up front and then two mounted in the hardtop. As far as dealer knowledge, I guess it depends on the dealer. Mine took care of all of it and did all the legwork for me.

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 am

Soflo222 wrote:... My dealer will install, but they want $1,500 for installation, and this just seems incredibly high to me, considering 2 speakers are in the console, and the others have wire chases going to their locations.

After installing two bow speakers on my 197sf I can tell you that $1500 estimate is not that high. It took me about 6hrs for that pair (did it alone). You are doing 6 speakers plus a sub, wiring, amp, and Fusion too? Measuring and properly cutting all these holes takes time. Passing all the wiring is a pain too. They told me that on the 222 the wires need to run back to stern and then to the front under the gunnels. A lot of wire fishing. The foam inside is not all the way to the top but very probable will be where the speakers go. That foam is like a rock and is very difficult to remove. You need a knife or sharp cutting tool to do it. Luckily I didn't have to remove a lot. You are installing a very nice system. I agree the speakers need its space behind specially to produce low notes. So they should not have foam enclosing it around and should be opened a little to the top gunnel cavity. The ones I installed at the bow sound amazing. For the sub you need a very sturdy wall. You don't want flex. The Fusion head unit and amp sound super. Good luck.
2015 197SF - Suzuki DF150
2012 180SF - Suzuki DF115 Sold

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Would mounting the subwoofer on the front of the splash well be feasible? I figure that is some solid fiberglass and has a nice sealed area below it... My only other options appear to be the console front just at the top edge of the cooler, or the console side opposite the door. The fiberglass on the front seems to be more solid and may not have a separate internal liner from the outside. The leaning post option is out, as there is only 2 inches between the freshwater tank and the tackle station.

My concerns with both locations is the sound quality on the opposite ends of the boat. If I end up mounting on the front of the console, I may add an 8 inch sub in the recessed spot on the console under the helm...

Thanks for all the help!

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Soflo222 wrote:Would mounting the subwoofer on the front of the splash well be feasible?...

Are you saying here? Why not on the side of console?

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 3:54 pm

The console side would be okay, I'm just very OCD about symmetry, so if I do that I will want to add a sub on the other side, and I don't think one will fit with the console door and the inner lining of the console. Would the front be a terrible idea? I think it would only be a few inches covered up by the cooler, which sits a few inches in front of the console anyways. I also think the front is sturdier than the sides because the t-top attaches there (at least it feels more solid than the sides).

saltydog235

Intermediate member

PostFri May 01, 2015 8:31 am

Mine are in the toe kick of the console behind the net and just aft of the fishboxes in the bow. However, my primary use of the boat isn't listening to music so I don't need all those speakers.

Pro-tip, those jump seats are great for river cruising, if you're going offshore, take them out and get some E-Sea-Rider small chair bags. Take out the head-rests too, when you get to the fishing spot, throw the bags on the t-top

Long Enuff

Intermediate member

PostSat May 02, 2015 9:59 am

Are you going to fish offshore much? If so, you will probably be replacing speakers on a regular basis. At least, that has been my experience. The abuse they take from sloppy conditions, salt spray and rough rides back in, is not conducive to longevity. If your boat is going to be primarily a cruiser, then that is a different story. My boat is a year and a half old, and every speaker on it has already been replaced, but it is a fishing boat first.

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue May 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Maybe you should contact the owner of this 220 to check how the front mounted sub works.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale- ... -sale.html
2015 197SF - Suzuki DF150
2012 180SF - Suzuki DF115 Sold

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Awesome super sleuthing skills, pioneer180! I just posted... Probably should have PMed though, not like he is gonna be like "it sounds like sh!7" on his for sale post... Oh well. With my luck the dealer has already cut the holes and it is gonna be too late to do anything...

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostTue May 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Since there is not a ton on this topic, I'm gonna follow up post install... I haven't had the boat on the water yet, but the 4 JL audio speakers and sub woofer, and even the clarions installed in the hard top sound amazing. They are connected to the fusion 5 channel amp, and I am incredibly impressed. The sub is mounted on the console front, which is incredibly thick fiberglass, so it does an amazing job. With the console door open and/or the window open, the bass is incredibly deep and clean. I have the 6.5 inch mx speakers on the gunwales by the seats, and the 7.7 inch mx speakers on the console sides mounted low by the floor. The sub is peeking just about half way above the cooler. The only thing I may do now is add a second sub, as the highs and mids are so loud, clear and clean, it could use some more bass towards the rear to even it out. Adding an 8 inch sub on the console facing the leaning post may be the final addition, but it will be a while before my wife agrees to it. With the clarion speakers on the fusion head unit, the zone must be turned up to hear them, but I made the right decision to buy something with clear mids and highs for that spot as there is no bass response at all in those tiny pods. I will post pictures when I have some daylight to take pics.

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostWed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Next

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements