It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Speaker Mounting - Sportfish 222

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

Pioneer180

Superstar member

• nospam: no

Re: Speaker Mounting - Sportfish 222

PostWed May 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice! For some reason I thought the sub was larger.

Fuste1664

PostMon May 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I also switched out the factory Sony speakers with the JL 6.5" but I'm getting ready to install a JL M10W5-SG-WH Sub. I see you had the sub installed on the front of the CC behind the YETI, did they have to cut into the CC Head Area in order to fit the JL sub??? I just don't see how it could fit in the space between the outer CC wall and the inner CC wall. Can you take a pic of the inside of the CC?

Thanks!

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostMon May 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Installed on the front of the console, the sub has a very solid wall, not 2 pieces with the outer and inner skins and space between like the sides have... The sub sounds amazing and there is no rattling. The amount of space taken up is minimal, as shown in the picture attached. I really love the way this stereo sounds. Also, the amp install was very clean and clutter free. After going out this weekend I may decide to add an 8 inch sub in the storage area behind the net, as the bass gets lost when moving fast.

whigh

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Anyone else added an upgraded system to their 222?

My hardtop does not have the speaker pods, and my boat has no speakers. Starting from scratch.

Soflo222, after some time with it what do you think of the sub?

Soflo222

Intermediate member

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

To be honest, the pods in the top only have cheap speakers in them because I knew you couldn't get any good lows from the tiny enclosure, plus they are only connected to the Fusion head unit for me. Without the pods, I would consider mounting 8.8's in the recessed storage spot with the netting below the helm. I still may do that to be honest.

The sub is amazing, JL makes a great product and it's look fits the class of the Pioneer with the clean classic lines, and no crazy OCC looking grills like wet sounds.

My only regret is not buying a bigger boat to handle the sound.

Starting from scratch isn't a terrible thing, because then you can make sure that it's done right and with exactly what you want. If you do it on your own, familiarize yourself with the wire chases that go from the console to the front of the boat.

whigh

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Was there plenty of depth in the sides for the 6.5's?

I decided to go wetsounds revo 6's. The mounting depth is deeper than the mx650's you installed.

Grills didn't bother me. Don't love them, but after installing the sw650's in my last boat I never payed attention to the grill ever again.
Previous

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements