It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 pm

How to install a trolling motor on a 197SF

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

Pioneer180

Superstar member

• nospam: no

Re: How to install a trolling motor on a 197SF

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 9:37 pm

RJFZ1 wrote:Great article. I am going to buy the riptide ulterra and after reading your article, you made my decision to purchase the 112/72 for the 197 Islander easier. I too, liked the 2 battery setup of the 80, but we get some strong currents and Northeasters up in Jax, so 3 batteries it is. Could you send me your pdf of your plate? Thanks in advance.

Sure. Please PM me your email. Thanks.

Simmo

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 am

G'day from Australia everyone.

I just got a 197 sportfish second hand and on the list of toys is a 80lb electric motor. If you could send me a copy of that template i'll get one knocked up when i get my canopy modified for installing some outriggers. PM has been sent mate.

Cheers

Bruce

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Simmo wrote:G'day from Australia everyone.

I just got a 197 sportfish second hand and on the list of toys is a 80lb electric motor. If you could send me a copy of that template i'll get one knocked up when i get my canopy modified for installing some outriggers. PM has been sent mate.

Cheers

Bruce

Done.

dudemanbubba

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 11:55 pm

What thickness and what type of metal did you use for the plate? I have drawn up a template for my 222 Sportfish. I want to minimize the flexing if possible. I was planning on 1/2" stainless steel and have been looking for a local metal shop in central Florida to stamp it out for me. About to order the 36V 112# 72" Minn Kota...

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

dudemanbubba wrote:What thickness and what type of metal did you use for the plate? I have drawn up a template for my 222 Sportfish. I want to minimize the flexing if possible. I was planning on 1/2" stainless steel and have been looking for a local metal shop in central Florida to stamp it out for me. About to order the 36V 112# 72" Minn Kota...

Use 5/8" or 3"/4". On my first boat I used 5/8" and was plenty. On my 197SF I used 1/2" and works perfect but I liked the 5/8" better just for peace of mind.

jugliner

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 am

Wanted to post on here to thank Pioneer 180 for the template, and to say that this weekend the wife and I installed a terrova 36V 112lb, 72 inch TM on our 197 Islander. I added an access hatch, like 180's, in the anchor locker and we built a modified (longer) template. I know a good metal guy and he built us a 5/8 inch aluminum plate, drilled, tapped everything on the mounting plate (180 bucks :lol: ). We used the MKA-16-03 quick release mount - compatible with the heavy terrovas, ulterras etc. Ended up with 5 through bolts and 2 screws mounting the plate to the deck (my arm wouldn't bend the right way to thru bolt the last 2 :) ). Honking big fender washers, silicone, and 4200. I drilled, tapped a couple extra holes on the QR mount so we can secure with multiple thumb-bolts. She's solid now! Next thing is to figure out where to put the heading sensor.... try to find a flat spot on the 197 that conforms to MK's instructions on THAT! We saw where some guys in walleye forums were mounting the heading sensor in the console, so we'll try that... if it links up thru the glass we're all good.

So far, so good, only two trips to town (three is average for one of my projects)... and no holes in the boat where there shouldn't be :)

I'll post some pics of the install after the heading sensor is mounted.

jl

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 pm

jugliner wrote:Wanted to post on here to thank Pioneer 180 for the template, and to say that this weekend the wife and I installed a terrova 36V 112lb, 72 inch TM on our 197 Islander. I added an access hatch, like 180's, in the anchor locker and we built a modified (longer) template. I know a good metal guy and he built us a 5/8 inch aluminum plate, drilled, tapped everything on the mounting plate (180 bucks :lol: ). We used the MKA-16-03 quick release mount - compatible with the heavy terrovas, ulterras etc. Ended up with 5 through bolts and 2 screws mounting the plate to the deck (my arm wouldn't bend the right way to thru bolt the last 2 :) ). Honking big fender washers, silicone, and 4200. I drilled, tapped a couple extra holes on the QR mount so we can secure with multiple thumb-bolts. She's solid now! Next thing is to figure out where to put the heading sensor.... try to find a flat spot on the 197 that conforms to MK's instructions on THAT! We saw where some guys in walleye forums were mounting the heading sensor in the console, so we'll try that... if it links up thru the glass we're all good.

So far, so good, only two trips to town (three is average for one of my projects)... and no holes in the boat where there shouldn't be :)

I'll post some pics of the install after the heading sensor is mounted.

jl

Nice. Glad I was of some help. Yes please post some pics!

jugliner

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Finally getting around to loading pictures from our Terrova Riptide 112 install (72 inch shaft)...

Here is the custom aluminum plate in place with the Minn Kota quick release plate bolted on. This is the MK plate I mentioned above that is specified to support ALL terrova/ulterra motors - and we were on the lake this weekend and I'll agree - no flex/movement at all.

The aluminum plate is mounted with 5 throughbolts (1/4 inch) with big fender washers inside and lock nuts. There are also 2 blind screws (I couldn't reach the holes inside the hull to through bolt) - one is under the MK mount and you can't see it in this picture - these were coated with 4200 before running into the slightly undersized holes. The MK quick release plate screws to the aluminum plate with 4 - 1/4 inch bolts - 2 are through bolted to the plate and 2 are in drilled/tapped holes because there wasn't clearance under the plate to through bolt. These are lock-tighted into the holes. All stainless hardware, of course.

Here is where I put the extra 3 batteries required for the TM - 2 are on a double battery tray under the seat that is built into the front of the console - the trays are 4200'd and screwed down. The third is in the battery box at the front of the inset portion of the console deck. I didn't want to screw into the deck here, so I glued an Azek board down with 4200 and screwed the battery box to that. I'm a HUGE fan of 4200 and Azek to avoid drilling through parts of the boat I don't want to drill through...trick I picked up on the Hull Truth. I also mounted 2 in-house battery chargers above the batteries - these are mounted with Azek backing boards, but through bolted by removing the seat cushion for the front seat and bolting behind it. There is a 3 port charger for the TM's and a 2 port for the starting/house batteries. Cables clipped to clips mounted on small Azek blocks 4200'd to the console walls. I also mounted the 50 amp breaker for the trolling motor to an Azek block to the left of the chargers for easy access.

I mounted the battery tender plug (thank's Pioneer 180....that is a DANDY plug!) under the seat on the front of the console. I don't think the Islander has the wiring tubes that the sportfish does (at least I didnt find them) and I like this mounting position for ease of battery run. I lengthened the TM cables, they will be laying across front deck, but I gave enough length that they aren't a real trip hazard - just have to pick up your feet :).

I mounted the "directional indicator" electronic compass puck inside the console (this is new for 2017 motors and is used in the "jog" feature) - my wife saw on a walleye forum where guys were mounting inside console and it worked great - linked right up. Mounted on.....you guessed it....a tray made from Azek and 4200'd to the inside of the console.

Here's a couple pics of how the motor rides on the boat when stowed....

Like I said, we tried it out last weekend and got everything calibrated in the settings menu. Anchor feature is really really cool....and we were getting like 4.5 MPH at full speed - this motor really throws the boat around!

The only thing left to do is to mount a trolling motor stabilizer for towing/rough water - I have one on order from Cisco in Cleveland, OH - this will clamp to the rail and support the shaft of the motor up near the electronics head. Like the Ram mounts I've seen some use, but Cisco stuff is aluminum/stainless and WAY over-engineered - it is really high quality stuff.

Will be trying it out in South Georgia in May - hopefully will have some saltwater pics of big fish then!

jug

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Nice!

GaryC

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 pm

LOVE the pole barn! Also, great job on the trolling motor install!

jugliner

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:21 am

Here is a picture of the Cisco trolling motor stabilizer - the thumb bolts can be taken out and the top part removed leaving only the round clamp on the rail still in place. When the trolling motor is in use the mount can fold either out over the top of the gunnel or down into the inside of the boat to be out of the way. This thing is rock solid! Cisco is really impressive, and fantastic customer service. I called to discuss with the engineer and he knew exactly what to build from the measurements I gave him. With custom build and being sent out for anodizing took a couple weeks and was delivered right on schedule with his quote/proposed timing.

jl

jrlynch

PostThu May 25, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks Pioneer 180, I bought my 197 with TM already installed but in an impractical place (across the bow). I'd really like to try your template. I PMed you my email address.
Jugliner I also really like that stabilizer from Cisco- thanks for the 'heads up'. Great thread.

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Photobucket now wants $400 for 3rd party linking. Sorry guys. These threads are sometimes useless without pictures. If you have any recommendation of which other service to use let me know and I could try to re-link all pics on my threads. I'll probably delete all pics from Photobucket soon as I do not want them to receive ads revenue from people visiting. Plus they do have some really annoying pop-ups. :(
2015 197SF - Suzuki DF150
2012 180SF - Suzuki DF115 Sold

Simmo

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 4:00 am

Damn, i am finally getting around to doing this as well! the pics would have been handy. PM sent Pioneer180

Pioneer180

Superstar member

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Simmo wrote:Damn, i am finally getting around to doing this as well! the pics would have been handy. PM sent Pioneer180

Sent you some. Let me know if you need more. Happy to help.
Previous

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements