It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 am

2014 pioneer 197 - Mods, Tips and Bait Tank Question

Electronics, projects, motors, drives, props, drill some holes, etc.
  • Author

stripedyam

Intermediate member

• nospam: no

2014 pioneer 197 - Mods, Tips and Bait Tank Question

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 9:55 am

INTRO
Hello everyone. The purpose of this post is to share my mods and provide some tips after owning my absolutely perfect Pioneer 197 for 6 months. The closest body of water to me is Smith Mountain Lake (2 hours), I have a full time job and a 2 year old son and I have put 125 hours on my boat! She has turned out to be a dream and a fish catching machine! Here is a picture of a 25 pound striper I caught on Smith Mountain Lake.

citation.jpg

MODS AND TIPS PART 1
1. Custom trolling motor mount and 101 Minnkota Riptide with IPilot. She will do 3.5 mph tops and will last all day due to the 36 volt system. I have started at 2am catching bait and pulled planers until 6pm that same day with half charge remaining. Average bait pulling speed is 0.7 mph. It's all in the batteries you buy as well! Get the very best!

TM mount.jpg

Net.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stripedyam

Intermediate member

Re: 2014 pioneer 197 - Mods, Tips and Bait Tank Question

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 am

MODS AND TIPS PART 2

2. Lowrance HDS8 Gen 2. The small transducer placement provides clean pictures at 48 mph and the large transducer is placed in a manner that it is out of the water on plane and provides clear readings up to 8 mph. This eliminates issues with spray when the large transducer is placed in the water flow on plane. I have seen monster rooster tails form this thing on many bass boats! ICK!

Lowrance.jpg

Tranducers and underwater lights.jpg

3. Underwater lights. One of the underwater lights are shown above and here is another picture of the lights in the water. These are Lifeform9 lights and were initially bought for attracting bait. However, they are more useful for attracting people on the bank who are tripping on LSD. Cool but not really great for the lake. Might be good in the Chesapeake Bay?

Lighted boat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 am

MODS AND TIPS PART 3
4. Interior and bait tank lights. I used mostly LED strip lights. I actually purchased the factory lights and found them to be weak. However, I am glad I did make this purchase as I used the existing wiring to do my own thing. Here is a close up of some of the lights and a shot of the bait tank which is on a separate switch. Additionally, each compartment has a light. When using the LED strip lights, purchase some 3m outdoor double sided tape for permanent adhesion. The sticky material that comes with the lights ..well..it sucks!

interior lights.jpg

Lighted bait tank.jpg

5. Yeti cooler, Cisco rod and cup holders. The Yeti is just superior in terms of cooling and serves as a great platform that you feel comfortable standing on. The Cisco rod holders? They are awesome! They pivot 360 and elbow 90 degrees. Smooth as silk! And don't forget the cup holders so you can make your wife feel like this is not a fishing boat. They work great for the cooler seat and front area for holding your beer or various fishing items. They also serve as a nice candy dish. NOTE: Do not store chocolate in these on sunny days!

Cooler and rod holders.jpg

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

MODS AND TIPS PART 4
6. Chargers, Outlets and Rack. As shown, I installed on-board chargers for both the TM batteries and the boat batteries. The second picture illustrates the technique I used under the leaning post. I simply used the existing bolts and mounted a piece of wood to these and the charger to it. Additionally, I used quick connect outlets which are absolutely a must. Finally, you can see in the first picture that I created a homemade rack for the CC compartment to add storage space above the batteries.

CC charger and rack.jpg

Charger Bait tank.jpg

outlets.jpg
Last edited by stripedyam on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am

MODS AND TIPS PART 5
7.Bimini Top. I struggled with getting a Bimini or the awesome factory built TTops. After much analysis, the Bimini was right for me. It allows me the ability to pass under low water bridges and trailer pretty much anywhere. It also allows me to store my boat under my carport. No doubt, the Bimini is sort of a pain but definitely provides more shade that the TTop. To eliminate rattle, I X-cross straps and connect them to the fishing rod holders as shown. I do this for both storage and when the Bimini is up. I'm telling you...DO THIS! Otherwise, the Bimini will rattle you to death at higher speeds.

This top is a Carver 8 footer, 4 bow, 60 inch height with adjustable struts. I am 6'3 and I have about 6 inches more room than I need. I would consider buying the 54 inch height if you are shorter than me. However, if you are into Amazon chicks, get the 60 incher so she doesn't hit her big ass head! :)

bimini.jpg

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

BAIT TANK QUESTION
I would love some professional advice on my bait tank.

QUESTION 1
First, it is very good. The only issue I have had with it is that every now and then the pump seems to just stop. I am then forced to flip the switch and blow (not suck) into the air inlet. I am not sure if this really does anything, but it seems to get the pump working again. Thoughts?

QUESTION 2
More importantly, this bait tank works great in the colder water. I fish with big bait (up to 16" shad) and have no trouble keeping them lively for a half day or so. The water is constantly replenished and the shad slime gets stuck in the removable outlet cover, thus I just simply pull it off and hose her down with my wash down hose. I also use the wash down hose to provide an occasional splash of oxygen because I sometimes like to play with my bait before I stick a sharp hook through their nose and send them to their death!

My issue now is the summer months. Bottom line, introducing surface water at 80 degrees will kill your bait quick. Thus, I am considering doing some type of closed loop system with a filter. I am not scared of plumbing and can conceptualize how a system of valves will either allow a closed loop or the original system design. The other option is to purchase a super bait tank II and put her where the cooler is. However, I would rather modify the existing tank. Any advice from you pros? Henry? Any ideas here would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Yam

Henry Sikes

Superstar member

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am

Sorry this has taken so long for me to answer, but it has gotten pretty crazy around here this spring!! Please do not mistake that as a complaint.

As far as bait tank goes, buy a good quality self contained, air injected, filtered and insulated tank. I know they are expensive but they are worth it. I've probably got more time and effort into catching, keeping and KILLING bait than I do in working over the last 15 years (although that seems to be changing very rapidly). Notice I highlighted KILLING bait :oops: , because you have to kill a ton of bait to figure out how to keep it alive and in what I call "tournament condition". I'm sure with quite a bit of studying and rigging you could make the "built in" tank work for a half a day, but I've already wasted to many hours of my life trying to "rig" something, to only get at best a bait killing tank.

With all that said, the best Freshwater live bait tank made today in my opinion is the Super Bait Tank II made by Ron Vest. If you can find a used Creek Bank Bait Tank, they are one of the best ever made in my opinion. I have to think that way because I helped design and did most of the testing on that tank. They are just hard to find because the guy's that were making them shut down several years back. Another pretty good tank out there is a Bluewater Bank Tank. They used to be made in Oklahoma so the freight was real high to get one shipped over here, but they were pretty much like the Super Bait Tank II. If I were you the first thing I would do is go see Dewayne Lamb over at The Captain's Quarters Tackle Shop and Marina at Hale's on Smith Mtn. Lake and see what he has available as far as tanks go. He's one hell'uva good guy and a pretty damn good fisherman too. :idea:

Tell him I said he might have won the battle at the Chesapeake this past year, but I'm coming after him in December this year so he better get ready!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks for your support!
Henry

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostThu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Henry Sikes wrote:Sorry this has taken so long for me to answer, but it has gotten pretty crazy around here this spring!! Please do not mistake that as a complaint.

As far as bait tank goes, buy a good quality self contained, air injected, filtered and insulated tank. I know they are expensive but they are worth it. I've probably got more time and effort into catching, keeping and KILLING bait than I do in working over the last 15 years (although that seems to be changing very rapidly). Notice I highlighted KILLING bait :oops: , because you have to kill a ton of bait to figure out how to keep it alive and in what I call "tournament condition". I'm sure with quite a bit of studying and rigging you could make the "built in" tank work for a half a day, but I've already wasted to many hours of my life trying to "rig" something, to only get at best a bait killing tank.

With all that said, the best Freshwater live bait tank made today in my opinion is the Super Bait Tank II made by Ron Vest. If you can find a used Creek Bank Bait Tank, they are one of the best ever made in my opinion. I have to think that way because I helped design and did most of the testing on that tank. They are just hard to find because the guy's that were making them shut down several years back. Another pretty good tank out there is a Bluewater Bank Tank. They used to be made in Oklahoma so the freight was real high to get one shipped over here, but they were pretty much like the Super Bait Tank II. If I were you the first thing I would do is go see Dewayne Lamb over at The Captain's Quarters Tackle Shop and Marina at Hale's on Smith Mtn. Lake and see what he has available as far as tanks go. He's one hell'uva good guy and a pretty damn good fisherman too. :idea:

Tell him I said he might have won the battle at the Chesapeake this past year, but I'm coming after him in December this year so he better get ready!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Henry. All sensible and knowledgeable people are telling me what you are telling me. Thus I will refrain from showing you my design which includes s a 28 inch pipe 6"D, and a cutout under the cushion of the leaning post seat. Having some experience with water treatment and plumbing, I just have to try something. Plus, getting rid of the overflow will allow me to go from 21 gallons to 28 gallons. I feel I need to try to use what you gave me before giving up and turning your live well into a trash can.

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am

stripedyam wrote:
Henry Sikes wrote:Sorry this has taken so long for me to answer, but it has gotten pretty crazy around here this spring!! Please do not mistake that as a complaint.

Thanks Henry. All sensible and knowledgeable people are telling me what you are telling me. Thus I will refrain from showing you my design which includes s a 28 inch pipe 6"D, and a cutout under the cushion of the leaning post seat. Having some experience with water treatment and plumbing, I just have to try something. Plus, getting rid of the overflow will allow me to go from 21 gallons to 28 gallons. I feel I need to try to use what you gave me before giving up and turning your live well into a trash can.

Well Dangit Henry, I slept on your words and woke up with a different attitude. My biggest reason for designing a solution is really just to prove that I can create something awesome. Secondly, I like the front area for a cooler and love the live well and where it is located. But I guess I can modify a SBTII with a seat cushion and carefully create a cooler/ compartment out of the live well. I don't want to scratch up that nice inside, so I would probably use small coolers and just put them into the live well. I am also thinking I can use the metal tie downs from the old cooler and do something with these with the SBTII for travel purposes. My excitement has been crushed by your wisdom. Dangit Henry! :cry: But I didn't buy this boat from people I thought were stupid! Thank you!

Yam

Scott_m

PostSun Apr 27, 2014 1:03 am

hey mate im just about to receive my 197 and was figuring out where I should put my tranducer for my simrad nss 8. Have you had any problems with cavitation with the prop mounted in this location?? Have you had any other problems with the small transducer mounted down there? The majority of pics I see have them mounted up on the same level as your big transducer but further to starboard side. Has anyone else mounted the small transducer down there?? pro and cons?

cheers

scott

stripedyam

Intermediate member

PostTue Apr 29, 2014 4:56 am

No problems at all. I had your same concerns. I have never had better readings on a transducer at high speeds and I am getting engine performance numbers inline with specs. I know a few who put the big transducer down low as well. However, I chickened out on that idea.

jpt007

PostSat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 pm

stripedyam wrote:MODS AND TIPS PART 2

2. Lowrance HDS8 Gen 2. The small transducer placement provides clean pictures at 48 mph and the large transducer is placed in a manner that it is out of the water on plane and provides clear readings up to 8 mph. This eliminates issues with spray when the large transducer is placed in the water flow on plane. I have seen monster rooster tails form this thing on many bass boats! ICK!

Thanks for sharing your mods. My apologies if this is a dumb question, but what role does the bigger transducer have and are they both running to the HDS8? Any shadows from the foot of the motor with the higher mount? Also, what were your thoughts on mounting the trolling motor on port side rather than starboard?
2009 - 197 Sportfish
2009 - 150 Yamaha

Return to Technical Discussion, Fix it, improvements