False Albacore

Seafood recipes, cooking.
  • Author

ccat

Advanced member

False Albacore

PostFri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Sounds crazy but it will blow your mind how good it is

1-False Albacore yes the kind everyones says dont eat. Bleed it when you get it in the boat while its still alive so that it bleeds really good, put it in the cooler where it will get good and cold. When you clean cut the loins out on each side just like you would clean a yellowfin tuna being sure to get the center blood line out.

2. Get a pan just about smokin hot with a little bit of sesame oil. cut your steaks about a 3/4 inches thick. Sear quickly about 30 seconds or so per side so that its about rare to med-rare when finished. Take it out eat with wassabi and soy sauce and honestly you cant tell if its yellowfin or false albacore. Key here is fresh, eating the same day you catch it. I was really skeptical at first but we caught 2-around 12-15lbs each and everyone was eating it as fast as i could get it out of the pan. You can also sprinkle on some seasame seeds if you like.
197 SF Mercury Optimax

Fibes

Superstar member

Re: False Albacore

PostMon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 am

Yeah, you have to eat it fresh, the moment it's frozen it's garbage or bait.
Captain Kevin F. Rose
Cape Island 186- "Telecaster"

EddieJoe

Advanced member

Re: False Albacore

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 6:13 pm

If by "False Albacore" you mean Little Tunny, I'm glad you are enjoying eating it. Lord knows I have tried to eat it over many years, and cannot. No matter how I try and cook it the result is something worse than horrible. You can cut out the loin, yes, but the loin is still a dark blood red chunk of inedible flesh, at least to most humans. Sharks and goliath grouper like it fine. Anyway, so what if I think it is inedible. You ate it, and found it good. More power to you.
But I can't help but think: "ug".

EJ

ccat wrote:Sounds crazy but it will blow your mind how good it is

1-False Albacore yes the kind everyones says dont eat. Bleed it when you get it in the boat while its still alive so that it bleeds really good, put it in the cooler where it will get good and cold. When you clean cut the loins out on each side just like you would clean a yellowfin tuna being sure to get the center blood line out.

2. Get a pan just about smokin hot with a little bit of sesame oil. cut your steaks about a 3/4 inches thick. Sear quickly about 30 seconds or so per side so that its about rare to med-rare when finished. Take it out eat with wassabi and soy sauce and honestly you cant tell if its yellowfin or false albacore. Key here is fresh, eating the same day you catch it. I was really skeptical at first but we caught 2-around 12-15lbs each and everyone was eating it as fast as i could get it out of the pan. You can also sprinkle on some seasame seeds if you like.

Return to Cooking